The purpose of this collection development policy is to describe the Scarborough Library's collection development program and to create the necessary standards for selecting, developing, and maintaining the Library's collection. Within the constraints of available funds, facilities, and staffing, Shepherd University and the Scarborough Library will acquire and make available materials and media in various formats, evaluate existing collections, and develop policies and procedures to maintain the quality of collections and information services. The Scarborough Library is involved in a variety of resource sharing agreements that expand the range of accessible materials and information.
The goals of this plan are to:
The mission of the Scarborough Library is to be a leading resource for information, innovation, and community enrichment at Shepherd University and in the region. Our mission succeeds because we are dedicated to our core values: learning, service, accessibility and diversity, which are in direct alignment with the core values of Shepherd University: Learning, Engagement, Integrity, Accessibility and Community.
- Access to information in a wide variety of formats to advance the instructional goals of the campus.
- A knowledgeable and professional library staff that is committed to the academic success of our diverse student body and dedicated to supporting the research needs of our faculty.
- Providing off campus access to all of the library's electronic subscription information to facilitate student learning.
- Exemplary customer service in all areas and to all library users.
- A collaborative working environment rooted in staff initiative and creativity and dedicated to continual professional development.
- Serve the larger Eastern Panhandle area as a valuable, intellectual and cultural resource to the community.
- A welcoming, comfortable and attractive environment that is conducive to academic pursuits and various learning styles.
- An atmosphere of mutual respect to all students, faculty and staff and library users.
- Open access to a diverse library collection and support for intellectual freedom and the values set forth by the American Library Association's Bill of Rights.
Shepherd University is a state-supported institution within the West Virginia system of higher education. From its beginnings over 130 years ago, the University has evolved into a comprehensive center of higher learning, serving a number of related, yet distinct roles:
The University offers baccalaureate and master degrees in a wide range of fields, encompassing the liberal arts, business administration, teacher education, the social and natural sciences, and other career-oriented areas.
The University provides credit courses for individuals that may not be seeking a specific degree, but who seek to broaden and update their knowledge in either familiar or new fields of intellectual endeavor.
The Scarborough Library supports the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights and its concept of intellectual freedom. In making selections, the Library attempts to include material representing differing points of view on controversial issues. As long as subjects fit into the general collection guidelines of the Library, they will be considered without censorship or prejudice when determining the collection's balance.
The Scarborough Library complies with the Copyright Law of the United States. Library services including electronic resources, reserve materials, photocopying, and acquisitions procedures must comply with U.S. copyright.