President W.H.S. White has the distinction of having two buildings named for him--and both of them were constructed on the same plot of land. These buildings are, in order, White Gymnasium (conceived in 1922, completed in 1924, opened for use in 1925) and White Hall. The gymnasium was first renovated in 1954 to house classrooms for business administration, social science and journalism. The current version of White Hall was dedicated in 1974 specifically for the Business Administration and Social Sciences departments.
Pictures of Individuals and Groups Related to Shepherd College: this five part collection has photographs of campus from its earliest days until 1965; the bulk of these photographs are labeled and numbered. Several show class lectures, some laboratories. There are even a few pictures of a sock hop held in Snyder Hall because that was where the Rams Den was located before migrating to the Student Center.
Buildings and Grounds Collection: This three box collection contains folders related to buildings on campus or held by the university; items for the current display were pulled from the Snyder Hall folder. Currently, the collection is not yet cataloged; it is, however, available for research.
A History of Shepherd College by A. G. Slonaker--the archive has several copies of this work done by Dean Slonaker; the book covers the history of the institution up to 1968. It is divided into sections under the chief administrators and presidents--and is very thorough.
President W. H.S. (Wilson Henry Stout) White served Shepherd College from 1920-1947.
Ms. Etta O. Williams was a dedicated woman. Hired in 1915 to instruct students in what were then called "Commercial Subjects," she not only taught the entire set of courses for that subject area but also served in the position of the President's secretary (administrative assistant) through most of her tenure at Shepherd.
All photographs on this page were taken by Ms. Denise Kretzmer.