1922--Mr. Thacher joins Shepherd as Director of Extension services; he also taught History and Economics
1928- Teaches on-campus courses in geography and economics
1937-Sponsor of the "Rumsey Regiment" a social fraternity for all males on SC campus; this organization eventually leads into the formation of a chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon in 1956. Thacher remains faculty sponsor until his retirement
1940'S-1950'S- Thacher sets up laboratory banks for his economics classes to learn finance and business essentials
1961- Retires from position; is an emeritus faculty member, Professor of Geography and Economics.
1961: SC Foundation created; Mr. Thacher is elected a Board member and then President of the organization
1970-Returns for dedication of Shaw and Thacher Halls (West Campus)
The smallest of the Shepherd College Extension Services ledgers (1921-1922)
Photograph of Mr. Thacher's Geography class (on campus)
Deck of cards for playing bridge
This term's display is a celebration of Mr. W. R Thacher, one of Shepherd College's most famous instructors; he taught economics and geography and was in charge of Shepherd College's Extension services for at least a decade. (1922-1961)
Mr. Thacher joined Shepherd in 1922 as Director of Extension Services and retired as an emeritus professor of Geography and Economics in 1961; his retirement activities included helping the SC (now SU) Foundation start up and included having a residence hall dedicated to his name on West Campus.
Portrait photo of Mr. Thacher from yearbook during his tenure
Small "fan" of dollar bills
All photos for this display were taken by Ms. Denise Kretzmer
What are Extension services?
Extension services included correspondence courses by USPS (online asynchronous courses are the current equivalent), course instruction at "satellite" campuses (South Branch is a prominent one) within the "local" area which included the Panhandle and some Potomac Highlands counties, where he (and other instructors) would meet with students who were in teaching positions and conduct classes in the students' local area.
Page 131 of 1961 yearbook, describing TKE fraternity
SC Foundation papers (1961)
Dedication program for Shaw and Thacher residence halls (1970)