In order to collect materials which will support the current curricular needs of Shepherd University, the Library selects resources based on the following selection criteria:
1. Books: In selecting books, the major emphasis is on acquiring new or current titles, although important retrospective titles may be acquired when appropriate for the collection. The Library will always attempt to obtain the latest edition of a title except in rare instances when an earlier edition may be preferred.
2. E-Books (Electronic Books): Selection of electronic books follow the same priorities applied to books with additional criteria:
3. Periodicals: In selecting periodicals the following additional criteria will be considered along with the General Selection Criteria:
4. Newspapers: The Library subscribes to a number of local newspapers, national newspapers, and special interest papers. A limited number of newspapers are kept for one year. Back-files will be maintained, when possible, for selected titles.
5. Reprints: Reprints may be purchased when that is the only method of acquiring an important title and no reasonable substitute is available.
6. Paperbacks: Hardbound books are preferred for their greater durability. Paperbacks may be purchased for topics that change rapidly, for books that are frequently updated and replaced, when duplicate copies of a particular book are needed, when demand is expected to be short-lived, when a hardcover is unavailable, or when the cost difference is substantial and the book is not expected to have heavy use.
7. Microforms: The titles on microform are limited to selected back files of Government Documents, periodicals and newspapers.
8. Atlases, Maps and Globes: Atlases and maps will be collected selectively to support general reference and research needs. The Library purchases individual maps, map sets and atlases in both print and online formats in accordance with general selection criteria. Outdated maps will be retained only if they are of political or historic value.
9. Pamphlets: The Library does not routinely acquire pamphlets. When, on occasion, such items are added, they will be cataloged and shelved with books.
10. Musical scores: Musical scores or songbooks will be acquired only as necessary to represent areas such as musical or cultural history and will not be purchased as performance materials.
11. DVDs: In choosing DVD's for the collection, the following will be considered in addition to the General Selection Criteria.
12. Audio: In choosing audio materials for the collection, the following will be considered in addition to the General Selection Criteria.
13. Online databases
14. Web links: In addition to the general selection criteria, the following criteria will be used in selecting Web links: